Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Get Updates | Divisions | About Us | Contacts | En Español

NC Department of Health and Human Services
NC Division of
Medical Assistance
NC Division of Medical Assistance - High quality health care through Medicaid and Health Choice for Children.

Who is Eligible - Medicaid for Medicare Recipients

Click here to learn more about Medicaid Reform

Medicaid serves Medicare recipients in two ways:

Medicaid does not pay for prescription drugs for people on Medicare. See Medicare Part D: Prescription Drugs and the NCRx.


Medicare-Aid is a free Medicaid program for people who have Medicare and also have limited income and resources. The program can help pay your Medicare premiums, co-payments and deductibles. It is also known as Medicare Savings Program. There are three different levels of Medicare-Aid. All are based on an individual’s countable income.

Comprehensive Medicare-Aid (MQB-Q) covers:

  1. Medicare Part B premium
  2. Medicare Part A premiums (when applicable)
  3. Medicare hospital deductible
  4. Medicare annual deductible
  5. 20% Medicare co-payment
  6. In some cases, if you go into a nursing home, Medicare-Aid covers the first 20 days. Â For more information, see Medicaid for long term care.

Limited Medicare-Aid (MQB-B) covers the Medicare Part B premium

Limited Medicare-Aid Capped Enrollment (MQB-E) also covers the Medicare Part B premium. Funds for this program may be limited.

Medicare-Aid Monthly income limits (Effective 04/2014)


Number in Family













Medicare-Aid for Working Individuals with a Disability

Let us help you keep your Medicare Part A coverage.

If you have lost your entitlement to free Medicare Part A benefits because you returned to work and now have earned income, Medicaid has a Medicare-Aid program that may pay your Medicare Part A premium for you.

To be eligible for Medicare-Aid for Working Individuals with a Disability, you must be under 65, disabled, and entitled to enroll in Medicare Part A. Contact your local Department of Social Services (DSS) for more information.


April 1, 2014