Many of the children available for adoption are eligible for monthly payments, medical benefits, and other services. The monthly adoption assistance payment in North Carolina is based on the age of the child and the child’s specific special needs. More information is available at the N.C. Division of Social Services website.
Agencies Supporting Adoptive Families
The following agencies often provide support services that can be invaluable to parents.
- County Department of Social Services (DSS)
- Each county department of social services provides help to families through their foster care and/or adoptive experience. Many offer support groups, individual consultations and advocacy. Visit for specific county information or call toll- free 1-877-625-4371.
- Post Adoption Services
- To supplement services that are provided by local departments of social services, the North Carolina Division of Social Services has contracted with the following agencies to provide post-adoption services to families of adoptive children from the foster care system who have special needs.
- REGION 1 BARIUM SPRINGS CALL 800-320-4157
- Serving: Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Jackson, Macon, Swain, Transylvania, EBCI
- REGION 2 CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY CALL 800-778-9955
- Serving: Avery, Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Yancey
- REGION 3 BARIUM SPRINGS CALL 866-667-3398
- Serving: Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Watauga, Wilkes
- REGION 4 CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY CALL 800-778-9955
- Serving: Cabarrus, Cleveland, Gaston, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Stanly, Union
- REGION 5 CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY CALL 800-320-4157
- Serving: Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin CALL 800-632-1400 ext. 353
Iredell and Rowan CALL 800-778-9955
- REGION 6 CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY CALL 800-632-1400 ext. 353
- Serving: Alamance, Caswell, Chatham, Guilford, Orange, Person, Randolph
- REGION 7 ANOTHER CHOICE CALL 800-774-3534
- Serving: Anson, Cumberland, Harnett, Hoke, Lee, Montgomery, Moore, Richmond, Scotland
- REGION 8 CENTER FOR CHILD AND FAMILY HEALTH CALL 855-596-5015
- Serving: Durham, Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Nash, Johnston, Vance, Wake, Warren, Wayne, Wilson
- REGION 9 CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY CALL 910-703-1859
- Serving: Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, Duplin, New Hanover, Pender, Robeson, Sampson
- REGION 10 CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY CALL 866-873-4173
- Serving: Bertie, Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Halifax, Hertford, Martin, Northampton, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Tyrrell, Washington
- REGION 11 EASTER SEALS UCP CALL 252-636-6007
- Serving: Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Greene, Hyde, Jones, Lenoir, Onslow, Pamlico, Pitt
- North Carolina Foster and Adoptive Parent Association (NCFAPA)
- NCFAPA is statewide organization of adoptive, foster, and kinship parents, child welfare professionals, and child advocates. The association promotes quality foster and adoptive services through collaborative advocacy, education, resources and networking. NCFAPA offers caregivers information, training, education, technical assistance, and support. Membership is open to all persons interested in strengthening foster and adoptive services. Call toll-free 1-866-623-7248 or visit www.ncfapa.org for more information.
- Family Support Network of North Carolina
- The Family Support Network of North Carolina [link to www.fsnnc.org] locations across the state provide support and information to families caring for children with special needs and for those individuals serving families. They operate a central directory of resources of local, state, and national agencies that offer service, parent programs, support groups, disability information, parenting issues, and other topics. They also offer training and outreach to families and an extensive lending library. Call toll-free 1-800-852-0042 or visit www.fsnnc.org for more information.
- Family Resource Centers (FRC)
- Family Resource Centers provide community-based family support services for all family members. Services may include parent education, therapy, information and referral, and other services unique to the community. Call 1-919-334-1150