Creditable Service Form
Why do I need to fill out this form?
You should complete this form to indicate whether
or not you have prior state, local service, or both
to credit to your total years of service. If not, you
will just indicate that you have no past creditable
service time and sign the form. If so, completing this
form enables your Human Resources office to verify your
prior service and ensure you are properly credited for
the time. Any prior creditable service provides credit
toward your vacation, longevity, and service awards.
In addition, your vacation, sick leave, or both may
To download the form for your signature, click below.
If you have past "creditable service" click
below to download the form.
the Employee Certification of Total State Service
If you are not sure if your past employment will count
as "creditable service", see the lists below.
What counts as creditable service?
- Permanent employment with any NC state agency
(20 hours or more per week)
- Public School System of NC
- Administrative Office of the Courts
- Social Services, Mental Health and Public Health
(no credit for Wake County after 12/96)
- County Agriculture Extension Service/Cooperative
What does NOT count as creditable service?
- Service in other states
- Federal employment
- City employment
- County employment
- Sheriff's or local police department
- Temporary Services (except General Assembly employees)
- Time while out on "Leave Without Pay"
* .PDF refers to Portable Document
Format, which is a readable format for many types of
web documents. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader
installed on your computer, you will not be able to
see the form. Acrobat Reader is free and available at
the Adobe website:
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader
Click here to return to
the Forms List page.