NC Medicaid Reform
Oct. 1, 2016 - Per Session Law 2016-121, DHHS submitted its Medicaid reform progress report to the NC Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Medicaid and NC Health Choice. This report provides an update on DHHS Medicaid reform activities, including Section 1115 waiver application status, the Medicaid transformation work plan and how the federal Managed Care Final Rule impacts the waiver application.
June 2016 - February 2017 - The Dual Eligibles Advisory Committee continues to meet monthly. This committee of external advocates, providers, associations and beneficiaries will provide advice to the Department of Health and Human Services as it prepares the strategy to transition the dual eligibles population to managed care. DHHS will present its strategy by Jan. 31, 2017, to the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Medicaid and NC Health Choice.
June 20 - July 20, 2016 - The federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services held its public comment period on the North Carolina Medicaid reform plan (Section 1115 demonstration) application.
June 1, 2016 - Governor Pat McCrory submitted North Carolina's Medicaid Reform plan (Section 1115 demonstration) application to the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Over the next 18 months or so, CMS will review the application and discuss the reform plan in detail with the Department of Health and Human Services.
* * *
Over the next 3 to 4 years, the NC Department of Health and Human Services will work closely with people who receive Medicaid services and their families, and with those that provide Medicaid and NC Health Choice services (like doctors and hospitals) to build the new Medicaid health care system. In the meantime, the Medicaid program will continue as usual and beneficiaries will receive care the same way they do now.
When Medicaid Reform is ready and approved by the federal government, it will be the right health care system for North Carolina – one that puts people first.
Keep visiting this Medicaid Reform website for updates.
- S.L. 2016-121 Legislative Report on the Transformation and Reorganization of NC Medicaid and NC Health Choice Programs (10/1/2016)
- Dual Eligibles Advisory Committee (6/22/2016)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Request for Public Comment (6/20/2016)
- Transforming Health and Health Care in North Carolina; op-ed from Secretary Rick Brajer (6/7/2016)
- Secretary Brajer Talks Medicaid Reform on "Capital Tonight" (6/6/2016)
- North Carolina Medicaid and NC Health Choice Section 1115 Demonstration Application (6/01/2016)
- Governor McCrory's letter to Secretary Sylvia Burwell, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (6/01/2016)
- Summary of input received during the public comment period (March 7-April 18, 2016) and DHHS' responses (6/01/2016)
- NC Health Transformation Center Report (5/01/2016)
- Questions and Answers (3/30/2016)