Based on considerable interest from the counties communicated to project management on up to the Secretary, NC DHHS leadership has placed document management in scope of NC FAST.
The Document Management System is a document imaging and management set of tools that will integrate with the NC FAST Case Management system, and is intended to work with existing county document management solutions.
The project will be implemented in multiple phases, with Phase 1 under way. The Team is in process of defining the project plan and scope, and continues to work with the counties to refine the requirements.
Document Management Objectives
- Cost Savings on Accommodation: Electronic documents are less expensive to store than large volumes of paper documents, especially in normal office accommodation. Switching to images releases all that space and saves money.
- Cost Savings on Staff Time: Searching for documents, copying, distributing and re-filing, accumulates in huge quantities of staff time. Electronic images are available at the click of a mouse, and never need to be re-filed after use. Anyone who needs to see them can do so, without the need for time-consuming photocopying, etc.
- Risk Reduction: Electronic documents are far easier to back-up, so there is no risk of total loss, and far less downtime in the event of a disaster.
- Compliance: It is vital to maintain high standards of record-keeping and meet the huge range of legislative and regulatory requirements. Electronic document management can be a significant help in achieving compliance, and avoiding the severe penalties that can result.
- Web Services: A web services layer will allow for integration with existing agency applications.
- Economy of Scale: Lowered long-term cost for the state and individual counties will be achieved by capturing significant economies of scale using a Software-as-a Service (SaaS) business technology model.
In October 2011, NC FAST presented document management at the Social Services Institute Conference in Hickory, NC. The presentation described the ways NC FAST could standardize document management across all counties, providing the same functionality to all counties at the same time. For example, document management would address retention of information, such as images and evidence.
More information coming soon.