Woman's Right to Know Act
This website was developed by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services in accordance with the "Woman's Right to Know Act." The full text of the law may be found on the NC General Assembly's web site www.ncleg.net.
The "Woman's Right to Know Act" requires that women who seek abortions be fully informed about relevant issues such as:
- Abortion methods and associated medical risks,
- Possible adverse psychological effects of abortion,
- Medical risks of carrying a pregnancy to term,
- Probable gestational age of the fetus at the time the abortion is to be performed,
- Public and private agencies and services available to assist the woman through pregnancy, at childbirth and when the child is dependent,
- Information on free ultrasounds.
A county-by-county directory of providers and resources has been compiled for reference. The NC Department of Health and Human Services has made every attempt to create a comprehensive list and will update this resource periodically to ensure that women have access to information about public and private agencies and services available to assist them before and through pregnancy, upon childbirth and while the child is dependent.
- North Carolina Medical Center Resources (PDF 26 KB)
- "Woman's Right to Know Act" Resource Directory - English/Español (PDF 298 KB)
Patient Education Handbook
The following educational handbook, which provides information about fetal development and medical procedures, is available upon request or may be downloaded for printing.
- English (PDF 862 KB)
- Spanish | Ley de derecho de la mujer a la información (PDF 773 KB)
If you would like to order printed materials, please print and complete the Handbook Order Form (PDF 16 KB) and submit it electronically to:
- Submit Handbook Order Form
- or Fax it directly to 919-870-4827