Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) helps people with disabilities achieve their employment goals. If you have a disability and want to find a job, keep working or advance professionally, VR can help you chart your path to a career with a future in North Carolina. VR can provide counseling, education, training, job placement assistance, assistive technology and many other services, depending on what you need to meet your goals for competitive, integrated employment. For more information download Value Realized: Partners on the Path to Your Career.
You may be eligible for VR services if you:
- Have a disability that affects your ability to find a job, keep working or advance professionally
- Require VR services to overcome a disability-related barrier to employment success
There is no cost to apply or to find out if you are eligible for VR services and we provide services statewide. Find a local office near you or call 1-800-215-7227 for a referral.
You are presumed eligible for VR services and may qualify for special incentives if you have a “Ticket to Work” or receive Social Security Administration (SSI or SSDI) benefits. Call 919-855-3587 for more information and to speak to benefits counselor.
VR Services for Eligible Consumers
In collaboration with a VR Counselor you will establish a goal for competitive, integrated employment based on your unique skills and abilities and plan the VR services needed to achieve that goal. Your Individualized Plan for Employment may include some of the services listed below:
- Career assessments and counseling
- Education and career training
- Job-readiness training
- Supported employment
- Individual Placement and Support (IPS)
- Assistive technology evaluations, equipment and training
- Rehabilitation engineering services
- Job placement assistance
- Job coaching
- Self-employment assistance
For more information, download the Individualized Plan for Employment Handbook.
Youth and Student Services
VR empowers young people with disabilities to explore career options, set goals for their future and overcome challenges they may face along the way. VR’s Transition Services may be provided at no cost for students or youth who:
- are between ages 14 – 24
- have a disability that results in barriers to preparing for, finding, keeping or advancing in employment
- require the help of VR to achieve an employment goal
- have applied and been determined eligible
In partnership with educators and community organizations, VR also offers pre-employment transition services to meet the needs of students who are considering employment in their future. VR's pre-employment transition services are available at no cost for students who:
- are between ages 14 - 21
- are eligible for special education-related services under IDEA or considered an individual with a disability under Section 504
- are enrolled in traditional/alternative secondary or post-secondary program
- have a school referral and signed consent form
Employment Services for People who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Specialized VR counselors serve people who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing statewide. Call 919-855-3579 (TTY) for a referral to a local office near you.
The North Carolina Client Assistance Program (NCCAP) helps people understand and access rehabilitation services leading to employment and greater community participation. For more information, call 1-800-215-7227 or visit their website.