The Provider Monitoring process is designed for:
- Entry into the provider network
- The evaluation of service providers against quantitative and qualitative measures
The provider monitoring process is used to monitor both Medicaid and State-funded behavioral health services.
Routine monitoring consists of a routine review and a post-payment review.
- For Licensed Independent Professionals (LIPs) that includes the LIP Review Tool and the LIP Post-Payment Review Tool.
- For provider agencies, the selection of tools is determined by the type services provided.
- The Routine Monitoring Tool is used except when the agency provides Unlicensed AFL services, in which case the Unlicensed AFL Review Tool is used.
- The specific post-payment review tool(s) to be used is based on the combination of services included in the sample.
- For those services that DHSR-MHL surveys on an annual basis (i.e., residential services and opioid treatment services), only a post-payment review is done.
Refer to the Instructions and Overview sections in each workbook for a detailed description of how the workbooks are organized and for more information on how all the component parts of the review fit together.
The Provider Monitoring Webinar Project is a follow-up to workshops that were presented in February 2014 to introduce the new process and tools for routine provider monitoring that went live on March 1.
The webinars address important aspects of the process in greater detail than was possible during the statewide workshops. They will be used by LME-MCOs to train their review teams on how to use the tools. Provider agencies will also use the tools as part of their internal quality assurance process. The webinars can be used as a self-audit to ensure ongoing compliance with the regulatory requirements that are the focus of the routine review.
The webinars are broken into modules. Each module discusses a key component of the process. Presenting the webinars in modules allows the LME-MCOs and providers to select the topic they want to review at a specific point, whether for in-service training or as a personal refresher. A script is provided for each webinar.
Please click on PowerPoint and video Webinars below.
1. Click on FLV zip file to download. Save zip file to desired location on your computer.
2. Unzip the downloaded file to get FLV file.
3. Use freely available VLC player to open/play extracted FLV file.
4. Contact your IT department if you need additional assistance.
Introduction to the New Routine Provider Monitoring Process
Routine Review Tools – Agencies
Using the Automated Workbook for the Provider Monitoring Tools
Tips for Providers
DHSR and LME-MCO Coordination
Transparency in the Provider Monitoring Process
- September 2014 Status Update on Provider Monitoring
- NCIHMA Behavioral Health Conference
- NC Association of Rehab Facilities Conference
- NC TIDE Spring Conference
- An Introduction to Routine Monitoring of MH/IDD/SA Providers by LME-MCOs through Collaboration and Transparency
- Summary of Training Evaluations
Email us questions or comments about the new tools or the provider monitoring process. Include the issue in the subject line.