Navigation Menu Link to Home Page link to Information on the Divison Link to Staff name, telephone and e-mail link to Topic Index Link to Frequently Asked Questions Link to Hot Topics Link to Training Calendar Link to Area Agencies on Aging Links to other Aging Sites Click to e-mail webmaster Link to the Department of Health and Human Services Disclaimer

Staff Contact

image of ladies walking to a car













North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services


Transportation Services

Many older adults and younger adults with disabilities are able to provide their own transportation and often drive many volunteer miles for family and friends who need rides to the grocery store or doctor.† For all drivers, however, there comes a day when transportation alternatives are needed.

Donít know who to call for public transportation?
Transportation services are offered to some extent in every NC county.† For information on the public transportation systems in your area supported in part by the NC Department of Transportation, please click on a city or county at the following link:†

In most counties, the transportation system serves both the general public and the countyís human service agencies.† In many cases, these agencies have programs to help people get to services when they do not have access to a vehicle.

Need help with paying for your rides?
If you are Medicaid-eligible, then Medicaid will support your ride to Medicaid-covered services. Contact your social worker or call your county Department of Social Services for assistance with these arrangements.† In some limited cases, there may be other sources of transportation support for low income adults available through the local DSS.

For non-Medicaid sponsored transportation alternatives, there are many agencies across the state that provide general and medical transportation supported by the Home and Community Care Block Grant for Older Adults. Riders are encouraged to contribute toward the cost of the ride on a donation basis.† Eligibility for this program is limited to people who are age 60 and older.

Still not sure who to call?
You may call the toll-free DHHS Customer Service Center for more information:†

  • 800--662-7030
  • Deaf and hard of hearing callers, please dial 877-452-2514 (TTY)



Last updated October 21, 2013




image to Spanish website



Service Standards