Adult Protective Services
Adults with disabilities may be vulnerable to abuse, neglect and exploitation. County departments of social services receive and evaluate reports to determine whether disabled adults are in need of protective services.
County agencies protect adults by:
- Receiving reports and evaluating the need for protective services
- Planning with the disabled adult, family or caregiver to identify and prevent abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Reporting evidence of mistreatment to the District Attorney and various regulatory agencies
- Initiating court action as necessary to protect the adult
- Mobilizing essential services on behalf of the disabled adult
Disabled adults reported to be abused, neglected or exploited and in need of protective services are eligible to receive this service regardless of income.
If you have a concern that an older adult or an adult with disabilities is being exploited, abused or neglected, call contact your local Department of Social Services.