Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Divisions | About Us | Contacts | En Español

NC Department of Health and Human Services Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services

Involuntary Commitments

What should I do if I think someone is a danger to themselves or others?

First of all, there is someone available to help you 24 hours a day. You can contact a Crisis Services staff member in your county.  They are available to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week.    

We also provide a listing of facilities in your local area that have been approved to treat individuals who are ordered to involuntary commitment. This listing can be for used for mental health and/or substance abuse. This listing is primarily used by law enforcement officers and other facilities.

Involuntary Commitment Forms


Consumer Factsheet on Involuntary Commitment
 Ready NC Connect NC