Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Divisions | About Us | Contacts | En Español

NC Department of Health and Human Services Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services

Advocacy and Customer Service

Client Rights, Laws, Rules and Policies

Appealing a Medicaid Service
Medicaid appeals are now handled by the Office of Administrative Hearings.

Appealing a Non-Medicaid Service
Appeals regarding final LME Non-Medicaid service decisions are filed to DMH/DD/SAS. Appellants must first follow the LME Local Appeal Policy per administrative rule 10A NCAC 27I .0601-.0609. All Appeals to DMH/DD/SAS follow the North Carolina Administrative Code 10A NCAC 27I.0600.

Involuntary Commitment Laws
Please click here for information regarding involuntary commitment in North Carolina. The North Carolina Civil Committment Manual may be downloaded for free (chapter-by-chapter) at the Office of Indigent Defense Services or a printed version may be purchased through the UNC School of Government.

North Carolina Administrative Code--Community Based Rights
Please click here for a link to community-based rules. The administrative rules for “Client Rights Rules in Community Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services” are located in 10A NCAC 27C, 27D, 27E and 27F. The rules apply to publicly funded services.

Client Rights Committee Administrative Rule

North Carolina General Statues--Client Rights
Please click here for a link to statute. These laws apply to services funded by public monies.

Privacy Release Form
Please click here for a privacy release form (PDF document) for health information.

Statewide Consumer Complaint Rule
Did you know that each Local Management Entity has a Customer Service office to assist you?

Did you know you have the right to file a complaint about the treatment you receive? 10A NCAC 27G .7001, .7002, and .7003 is the rule for how to file a compliant at the local level.  If you have questions about the complaint process you can contact the local LME Customer service office. You can find the local office directory by following this link. You can also contact the North Carolina Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services, Advocacy and Customer Service Office by clicking on this link.

Return to top Ready NC Connect NC