Substance Use Disorders

Substance Use Disorder (SUD) services help to prevent misuse of alcohol and other drugs and to help people with substance use disorders in obtaining the appropriate services and supports they need to live a life in recovery.

Prescription Drug Misuse

Misuse of prescription painkillers along with illicit opioid use (e.g. heroin, fentanyl) are driving the overdose crisis. To combat this, we sponsor a statewide reporting system for controlled substances.
The Reporting System:

  • Helps doctors identify and refer patients misusing controlled substances to appropriate supports; and
  • Improves the state’s ability to identify people who may be at risk of overdose.

Request your personal information from the reporting system:

  • Fill out a request form
  • Get it notarized
  • Include a copy of your photo ID
  • Mail your request to:
    NC Controlled Substances Reporting System
    3008 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-3008

Recovery Oriented Systems of Care 

The Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services helps treatment programs become part of Recovery Oriented Systems of Care (ROSC). ROSC shifts the primary focus from getting people into treatment to promoting de-siloed systems that support a lifetime process of recovery. This includes ongoing treatment, as well as a network of services and supports that are person-centered and build on the strengths and resiliencies of individuals, families and community to achieve improved health, wellness and quality of life.  Access to quality treatment is critical, but so is having good relationships with family or friends, having a job, having a place to live and being around people in recovery.

Tailored Plans

Behavioral Health and Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities Tailored Plans (or “Tailored Plans”) are a new kind of NC Medicaid Managed Care health plan for people with certain medical needs, including people with severe substance use disorders. They start July 1, 2024. Learn more about Tailored Plans.


If you or someone close to you needs SUD services , please contact your local management entity (LME).