Food and Nutrition Services (Food Stamps)

Food and Nutrition Services is a federal food assistance program that provides low-income families the food they need for a nutritionally adequate diet. Benefits are issued via Electronic Benefit Transfer cards (EBT cards).


1. Income

You may be eligible for Food and Nutrition Services if your total income falls below the appropriate gross income limits for your household size. Eligibility workers determine which income limit applies to your household.

1 $1276 $1916 $194
2 $1726 $2586 $357
3 $2177 $3256 $511
4 $2628 $3926 $649
5 $3078 $4596 $771
6 $3529 $5266 $925
7 $3980 $5936 $1022
8 $4430 $6606 $1169
Each Additional Member (+451) (+670) (+146)

2. Household Composition

Some individuals must participate in Food and Nutrition Services as one household even though they purchase and prepare their meals separately.

Individuals who must participate as one household include:

  • Individuals living together who purchase/prepare their food together
  • Spouses living together or individuals representing themselves as a married couple
  • Individuals under 22 living with a parent
  • Individuals under 18 under the parental control of an adult living in the home
  • Two unmarried adults living in the same home who are parents of a mutual child

3. Citizenship/Immigration Status

All individuals receiving Food and Nutrition benefits must be US Citizens or immigrants admitted to the United States under a specific immigration status.

4. Resources

Some households may be subject to a resource test.

  • Households may have $2,250 in countable resources
  • Households may have $3,250 if at least one person is age 60 or older or disabled
  • Certain resources are not counted, such as homes, buildings and land


NC EBT Call Center
Phone: 1-866-719-0141
If you have questions or comments please email us.


USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form

Phone: 866-632-9992
Fax: 202-690-7442

You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.

Send your completed complaint form to:
US Department of Agriculture, Director
Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Avenue
SW Washington, DC 20250-9410

Contact Social Services

How can we make this page better for you?
Send us some feedback!

Thank you for providing feedback on our website. Your idea will go to our web team. If you want to contact someone specifically and get a response, please go to the contact page.

User Feedback

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
3 + 3 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
Back to top