The North Carolina Lifespan Respite Program is an application-based program that reimburses eligible family caregivers caring for individuals of any age for up to $500 in respite care services in a calendar year. Funding is limited, and applications are accepted only when funds are available.
- Caregiver must be at least 18 years old and a North Carolina resident.
- Caregiver must be providing unpaid care for an individual of any age.
- Neither caregiver nor care recipient can be receiving ongoing, publicly funded in-home services or other respite care, including adult day care services. Those who are on waiting lists for these services are eligible for Lifespan Respite Vouchers.
- Priority is given to:
- Caregivers with the greatest economic need.
- Caregivers who provide direct care for their loved one.
- Caregivers who have not received a publicly-funded respite break within 3 months of submission of application. (Applications not meeting this criterion will be considered if there are emergency or extenuating circumstances.)
- Applicants must be able to use voucher funds within 90 days.