*** Human Rights Committee ***
Human Rights Committee meetings will be held via teleconference until further notice.
These meetings are held at 1:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of every month.
The telephone number to use is: 1-669-257-3552.
The access code is: 325414601#.
About the Facility
Caswell Developmental Center in Kinston, NC is the state operated developmental center for North Carolina’s eastern region. Caswell provides services and support to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), complex behavioral challenges and or medical conditions whose clinical treatment needs exceed the level of care available in the community.
Mission, Vision, and Values
Historical Facts and Information
Counties We Serve
Eligibility and Admission Criteria
Persons eligible for admission to Caswell Developmental Center shall meet the following criteria:
- Have an intellectual disability and/or developmental disability and
- Are at least 18 years of age (excludes the specialized programs for children) and
- Have complex behavioral challenges and or medical conditions and clinical treatment needs that meet the Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) level of care and cannot be supported in the community and
- Community resources have been explored and an appropriate community based program is not available
All requests for admission must be supported by a letter of endorsement from the individual’s responsible Local Management Entity/Managed Care Organization (LME/MCO). Please review our Referral and Application Process information.
Caswell Developmental Center is a certified ICF-IID providing 24 hour comprehensive residential services. During an admission at the center a team of professionals along with the individual and family or guardian develops a comprehensive Person Centered Plan (PCP) that outlines the specific needs and wishes of the person. The goal of the PCP process is to prepare the person for re-integration back to the community. Prior to discharge the team, including a representative from the individual’s Management Care Organization, identifies community based services to support the individual based on the identified needs and wishes of the person. A transition plan is then developed to support a successful move back to the community.
- Residential, medical, habilitation (help in developing functional living skills) and training to promote independence and self-determination.
- Facility based respite services to provide caregivers temporary relief based on bed availability.
- A 10 bed program for males with a dual diagnosis of IDD and mental illness (IDMI program). The length of stay is up to 18 months.
The Specialized Services Department is responsible for coordinating all services provided by Caswell Developmental Center to community agencies, groups and individuals in the 38 counties of the Eastern Region. The department is organized into three areas: Social Work Services, Volunteer Services, and NC ABILITYCorps/AmeriCorps
More about our Specialized Services
Forms and Documents
Human Rights Committee
The Caswell Developmental Center Human Rights Committee consists of ten members appointed by the Secretary of DHHS to monitor the protection of the human, civil, legal and treatment rights of those living in the facility. The committee reviews cases of alleged rights violations and mistreatment. Members of the Human Rights Committee are available to hear the concerns of any client, parent, or guardian if violations of rights occur. Human Rights Committee Meetings are held in the Old Library at 1:30pm on the third Thursday of the month.
For additional information contact Jewel Holloman at 252-208-4221
Caswell Center Foundation
Caswell Center Foundation was established in 1999 to enhance the quality of life for persons at Caswell Developmental Center and in eastern North Carolina with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Caswell Center Foundation, Inc.
P. O. Box 1459
Kinston, NC 28503-1459
252-208-3790 or 252-208-3766
Email: Danielle.Howell@dhhs.nc.gov Executive Director of Foundation or firstname.lastname@example.org Administrative Assistant of Foundation.