NCDHHS Communicable Disease Branch Corrections Team
What We Do
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Corrections Team serves as a resource to correctional entities to strengthen and improve the delivery of healthcare, assist in infectious disease prevention and control, and statewide support to ensure the health and wellbeing of detained and incarcerated persons in the state of North Carolina.
To serve as a resource to strengthen and support the delivery of healthcare and infectious disease prevention for correctional entities of our state.
To be regarded as the leading corrections team within any DHHS across these United States.
- Develop working relationships with stakeholders to establish credibility and collaborative partnership to effect any needed change in the delivery of healthcare services.
- Provide technical assistance with COVID-19 mitigation to correctional entities.
- Promote correctional healthcare best practices based on national correctional standards.
- Provide opportunities for local correctional entities to enhance their service delivery.
- Inform correctional health entities of state and/or national legislative guidance that may be helpful in their provision of services.
- NCDHHS Corrections Team and Neimand Collaborative 3-part Series, Part 3: "NC Corrections: Navigating the New Normal." May 4, 2023 Webinar.
- NCDHHS Corrections Team and Neimand Collaborative 3-part Series, Part 2: “Partnership & Communications in North Carolina Corrections System". March 28, 2023 Webinar.
- NCDHHS Corrections Team and Neimand Collaborative 3 part Series, Part 1: “Lessons Learned: COVID-19 and NC Detention Centers”: December 12, 2022 Webinar.
- NCDHHS Corrections Team COVID "Testing Within Confinement Facilities": December 16, 2021 Webinar.
- NCDHHS Corrections Team "How to Approach Isolation and Quarantine Challenges within Confinement Facilities": April 19, 2022. Webinar.
- Corrections and COVID-19 Newsletter Vol 1 Issue 1.
- Corrections and COVID-19 Newsletter Vol 1 Issue 2.
Guidance and Toolkit
- NCDHHS COVID-19 Corrections Resources Guidance.
- COVID-19 Outbreak Toolkit for Local Confinement Facilities.
- CDC COVID-19 Corrections Guidance on Management of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Correctional and Detention Facilities.
- Corrections Guidance Briefing
- Monkeypox QuickFact Sheet for Corrections
- Monkeypox and Corrections Townhall Meeting 8/3/2022: Recording, Slides, Q&A
Statewide Data and Resources
National Data and Resources
- 2022 U.S. Map & Case Count | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC
- CDC Congregate Living Resources for Monkeypox
Detection and Mitigation of COVID-19 in Confinement Facilities Funding
- CDC, in partnership with the Department of Justice, is providing financial assistance to ELC recipients to respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in confinement facilities within their jurisdictions.
- A total of $700,000,000 ($20,230,000 for the state of NC) made available through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and this Detection and Mitigation of COVID-19 in Confinement Facilities project, was awarded to the current 64 ELC recipients according to a formula based on the recipient’s jurisdictional incarcerated population divided into the total national incarcerated population.
- The objectives and goals of this funding are primarily focused on providing resources to confinement facilities for the detection and mitigation of COVID-19.
RFA A399 Addendum #1 Questions and Answers can be found here.
RFA A399 Addendum #2 Notice of Award Notification Date Change
RFA A399 Participating Counties:
NC Law and Rules
- County Law Enforcement and Confinement Facilities – Article_10.pdf (ncleg.gov)
- State Prison System – General Statute Sections - North Carolina General Assembly (ncleg.gov)
- Jails and Local Confinement Facilities Subchapter 14J Jails, Local Confinement Facilities
- Public Safety Title 14B - Public Safety
- Communicable Disease General Statutes and Administrative Code - NC DPH: Communicable Disease Laws and Rules
North Carolina Sheriffs Association
North Carolina Jail Administrators Association
National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC)
American Correctional Association (ACA)
Officer Wellness Resources
National Institute of Corrections: Wellness for Corrections and Supervision Professionals
NC Law Enforcement Assistance Program
American Jail Association Staff Wellness: Fit for Duty: Tips for Starting a Wellness Program
NCDHHS CDB Corrections Team
225 N McDowell St
Raleigh, NC 27699