Child Development and Early Education

Licensing Information

Family Child Care Home (FCCH)
FCCH application process
FCCH Basic Information for Potential Providers
Family Child Care Home Packet

Child Care Center (CCC)
CCC application process
Basic Information for Potential Providers
Facility Profile Application (Only)
Drop-In/Short-Term Child Care
Pre-Licensing Workshops Schedule and Application
Lead Child Care Consultants Contact Information

Summer Day Camp
Summer Day Camp Information
Summer Day Camp Application Packet
Summer Day Camp FAQs

3 Year Rated License Assessment Packe
Child Care Center (CCC)
Family Child Care Home (FCCH)

Annual Compliance Fire Inspection Packet
Fire Inspection (Annual Compliance Visit) Packet

In-Service Training Information
In-Service Training FAQs
Distance Learning Approval Chart
Be a Smart Consumer of Child Care Training
Non-Exempt Training Information

Early Educator Support, Licensure and Professional Development (EESLPD) Office

The Early Educator Support, Licensure and Professional Development (EESLPD) Office administers three programs:

  1. Beginning Teacher Support
  2. Lateral Entry Teacher Support
  3. Licensure Renewal

These programs support Early Childhood Lead teachers at each level of the licensure 

The North Carolina Birth-through-Kindergarten License

The North Carolina Birth-through-Kindergarten degree and license prepares early childhood educators to work with young children, from birth through age five years. This includes children with and without disabilities, and at-risk children.

  • The pre-service process requires coursework and a student teaching/internship to qualify for a NC Educator's Standard Professional I license issued by the NC State Board of Education.
  • The in-service process requires three years of induction or beginning teacher support and formal teacher evaluations. This results in a professional development plan and leads to a North Carolina Birth-through-Kindergarten Standard Professional II license.

EESLPD Office Contacts
County/Regional Map and Staff Contacts

General Information and Overview
Requirements of NC Pre-K Teachers with Lateral Entry, BK I or II Licensure
Frequently Asked Questions - General
Enrollment and Change Form

Information for Teachers
EESLPD Office Teacher Manual
Table of Contents
Section 1 - Purpose and Introduction
Enrollment and Change Form
NC BK Teacher Education Standards
Section 2 - Steps Toward Professional Growth
Section 3 - All About Licensure
Tracks to Licensure
Teacher Licensure - NC Pre-K Teachers/Nonpublic Schools Required Documents for Teacher Licensure
Requirements for EESLPD Office Teachers with LE, BK I, II, Orientation, PD & Other
Approved North Carolina Universities/Colleges with BK Licensure Programs
Section 4 - Professional Development (PD) Requirements
Activities for Teachers Waiting for Services
Annual Professional Development Log
Section 5 - Becoming a Reflective Professional Educator
NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development
NC Child Care Rule .3000: NC PRE-K
Approved Curricula and Formative Assessments
Section 6 - Tools for the NC Educator Evaluation System
Evaluation Resource Manual
Section 7 - Helpful Resources
EESLPD: Frequently Asked Questions
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Division for Early Childhood (DEC)

Information for NC Pre-K Contractors and Site Administrators
Checklist for Determining Eligibility of Nonpublic Early Education Teachers
NC Pre-K Teacher Annual Calendar
Enrollment and Change Form
Frequently Asked Questions - General

Information for Mentors
Criteria for Mentors and Evaluators
Mentor/Evaluator Application
Mentor Standards
Frequently Asked Questions - General
Evaluation Resource Manual

Information for Evaluators
Frequently Asked Questions - General
Evaluation Resource Manual

Professional Development and Training
Early Childhood Educators enrolled with the EESLPD Office are required to align their instruction with NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development.  

Development and Training Documents
North Carolina Foundations for Early Learning and Development
Foundations for Family
Foundations for Preschoolers
Generic Instructions to join Webinars
Teacher-Site Administrator PD Calendar
Attendance Roster Form
Checklist for Recording PD

Annual License Fee

The Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) assesses an annual license fee to active child care providers in accordance with G.S. 110-90(1a).

  • Child care facilities owned by public universities, community colleges or local public school systems do not require assessment. .
  • Facilities operating with a Notice of Compliance (G.S. 110-106) instead of a star-rated license are not assessed this annual fee.
  • Failure to pay your Annual License Fee on time may result in administrative action, up to and including revocation of your child care license.

FAQ's for Annual License Fees

Payment Options
Online Payment: PayPoint.
Check or Money Order: DHHS Controller's Office, Attn: Accounts Receivable
2025 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2025
Payment must include your license number

Annual License Fee Invoice Amounts
Family Child Care Homes: $52.00
Centers (capacity of 0-12): $52.00
Centers (capacity of 13-50): $187.00
Centers (capacity of 51-100): $375.00
Centers (capacity of 101+): $600.00

Regulated Child Care 

Caregivers who care for two or more (unrelated) children for more than four hours a day might need to be licensed.

Licensure exemptions include:

  • Recreational programs operated for less than four consecutive months in a year
  • Specialized activities or instruction, or organized clubs for children
  • Drop-in or short-term care provided while parents participate in activities that are not employment related and where the parents are on the premises or otherwise easily accessible
  • Public Schools
  • Nonpublic schools accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools that operate a child care facility for less than six and one-half hours per day
  • Vacation Bible Schools
  • Centers and Homes located on federal property over which the federal government has control
  • Cooperative arrangements among parents to provide care for their own children as a convenience rather than for employment

Obtaining a License

Application/forms will vary based on the type of child care you wish to offer.

Child Care Center Application Process

If you have questions or concerns related to the application process, contact the Division of Child Development and Early Education by calling our toll-free number 800.859.0829 (in-state calls only) or 919.662.4499.

  1. Review the Basic Information for Potential Providers Booklet.
  2. Register to attend a Prelicensing Workshop. Attendance at a Prelicensing Workshop is required for anyone interested in opening a Child Care Center.
  3. At the Prelicensing Workshop, you will receive the name and phone number of the Lead Child Care Consultant in your area. Your Lead Child Care Consultant will schedule several prelicensing visits with you to talk about the specific licensing requirements for your center and to assist you in completing the application forms. Refer to the Prelicensing Guide to assist you with next steps.
  4. Once it is determined that all applicable requirements have been met, the license will be issued.

Family Child Care Home Application Process

If you have questions, contact the Division of Child Development and Early Education.

Phone: 919-662-4499
Toll Free: 800-859-0829 (in-state calls only)

  • Review the Family Child Care Home Packet.
  • Complete the application form and mail it to:
    Regulatory Services 2201 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-2201

    Your consultant will contact you within two weeks of receiving your application to arrange a time to visit your home and complete the application process.
  • The operator of the Family Child Care Home, as well as any employees, must complete the Criminal Record Background Check. New Family Child Care Home providers must ensure that all household members over the age of 15 who are present while children are in care also complete a Criminal Record Background Check.
  • Many local resource and referral agencies offer family child care home pre-licensing workshops. Contact your local resource and referral agency to find out their schedule of upcoming workshops.