NC Controlled Substances Reporting System (CSRS)
The NC Controlled Substances Reporting System (CSRS) collects controlled substance prescriptions data within 72 hours of being dispensed and makes this information available to prescribers and dispensers. The system is used as a clinical tool to improve patient care and safety while avoiding potential drug interactions and identifying individuals that are in need of referral to substances abuse treatment. In addition, prescribers can audit their personal controlled substances prescribing history.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I register?
- What is necessary for registrant verification?
- How will I receive my username and password?
- Can out-of-state providers access NC CSRS records?
- As a prescriber, with whom can I share patient prescription histories?
- Are delegates allowed access to NC CSRS?
- As a new pharmacy, how to I register an uploader account?
- If I’m having issues uploading information from my pharmacy, who should I contact?
- As a patient, can I request my own controlled substances history?
All prescribers and delegates may apply through the NC CSRS website by performing the following steps:
1. Open https://nccsrs.hidinc.com/ncsignup.html, where a login window will be displayed
2. Enter newacct in the User Name field.
3. Enter welcome in the Password field.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete your registration.
Prescribers can also register online through the NC Medical Board, NC Board of Pharmacy, or NC Board of Nursing. Click below to link to your specific licensee form.
- What is necessary for registrant verification? For prescribers, the system is linked to DEA numbers. When entering your DEA number, please use format: XX0000000. For dispensers, the system is linked to state pharmacist licenses.
- How will I receive my username and password? This information will be sent to your e-mail. Please make sure to provide a permanent e-mail as password updates will be sent to these e-mail addresses in the future.
- Can out-of-state providers access NC CSRS records? Yes. Out-of-state providers can register with the system to query NC patients or clients.
- As a provider, with whom can I share patient prescription histories? Prescribers may ONLY share patient controlled substances prescription histories with a delegate working under his or her direction and supervision (see next question). The prescription history may also be added to the patient’s confidential health care record. Find more information on confidentiality here.
- Are delegates allowed access to NC CSRS? Yes. Delegate accounts can be created under an already-established Master account. The Master registrant is responsible for each of their delegates. Delegate accounts must be updated annually, or the account will become inactive.
- As a new pharmacy, how to I register an uploader account? A step-by-step guide for dispensers can be found here: NC CSRS Dispensers Implementation Guide ASAP 4.pdf
- If I am having issues uploading information from my pharmacy, who should I contact? Please contact our third-party providers, Health Information Design, at 800-225-6998 or
- As a patient, can I request my own controlled substances history? Yes, to request a personal (patient) controlled substances prescription profile, please fill out this form. Once the form is complete, please print and mail, along with a copy of your photo ID, to the address below.
Controlled Substances Reporting System
Attn: Individual Request
Mail Service Center 3008
Raleigh, NC 27699