Foster Child Adoption in North Carolina
Thank you for your interest in foster care and adoption in North Carolina. NC Kids can help you get started and assist with fostering or adoption. There is an incredible need in our state for qualified and dedicated foster and adoptive parents. When children enter foster care the primary goal is to help families resolve their challenges and reunite safely. However, when that is not achieved children can become free for adoption. For more information about how children enter foster care and the requirements for becoming a licensed foster parent please view the Foster Parent Orientation video.
When a child is unable to be reunified with their biological family, other permanency options are explored including adoption. Every child available for adoption deserves a "forever family." If you are interested in providing a safe and loving home to a child and you have patience and wisdom to share, you could be the perfect parent for a child who truly needs you.
Children waiting for adoption include:
- Children with special needs such as physical, mental and emotional disabilities
- Sibling groups
- Minority children especially African American males
Additional information about how to become a foster or adoptive parent, frequently asked questions and information about the types of children who need foster and adoptive homes and resources for current foster and adoptive families can be found by exploring this website and reading North Carolina’s “You Don’t Have to be Perfect to be a Perfect Parent” brochure found at the bottom of this page.
About NC Kids
NC Kids helps prospective families navigate the initial stages of foster care and adoption. We connect children in need of adoptive homes with families by:
- Featuring waiting children on this website and the national Adopt US Kids website. These websites identify legally free children who are awaiting adoption.
- Maintaining a central database of children available for adoption and families who are interested in adopting children from the foster care system.
- Providing matching services for waiting children with pre-approved families registered with NC Kids.
We also provide:
- Foster care and adoption support services.
- Community outreach and support services for recruitment and retention of foster and adoptive families and technical assistance to County Departments of Social Services and private Child Placing Agencies.
NC Kids works with agencies, children and families. We are not an adoption or foster care agency and do not make any decisions about child placement.
Recommended questions to ask when selecting a licensed child-placing agency for foster care and/or adoption.
For more information please call our hotline at 877-625-4371 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org