The North Carolina Office of Rural Health administers the North Carolina State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP). This program helps mental health providers provide primary and psychiatric care to people in rural and underserved areas. The Office of Rural Health Placement team works to identify opportunities to practice in an integrated care setting that matches the providers personal and professional needs with community needs. These integrated care opportunities are in a variety of practice settings including Federal Community Health Centers (also known as Federally Qualified Health Centers, or FQHCs), State-Sponsored Rural Health Centers, County Health Departments, State Mental Health Hospitals, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Centers, Community Mental Health Facilities, and others.
Based on the amount of relevant educational loans, hours worked per week, and working at an integrated care site, SLRP offers educational loan repayment awards up to $50,000.00. The awards are granted in exchange for a three-year service commitment in a team-based setting that provides access to comprehensive behavioral health services to rural communities with a Health Professional Shortage Area score of 15 or above; i.e., an integrated primary/behavioral health care setting.
Minimum three-year service commitment
- Office of Rural Health anticipates awarding a minimum of 4 SLRP contracts based on availability of funds the applicant’s allowable loan debt, full licensure of the provider, Mental Health HPSA site score, and providers delivering integrated care.
- Provider must be working at a site located in a Mental Health HPSA of 15 or above.
- Site must provide primary care/behavioral health integrated care services and complete Integrated Care Clinic Self-Assessment Questionnaire.
- Applications will not be denied based upon the individual’s race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Guidelines are subject to change at any time and are contingent upon funding and per the discretion of the Office of Rural Health.
Qualifying Provider Types
- LCSW: Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors (LCMHC): Formerly known as LPC: Licensed Professional Counselor.
- LMFT: Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.
- PNS: Psychiatric Nurse Specialist.
- HSP: Health Service Psychologist (Clinical & Counseling).
- PA: Physician Assistant in Mental and Behavioral Health.
- NP/PMHNP: Nurse Practitioner/ Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- MD/DO: Psychiatrist.
- LCAS: Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist.
- LPA: Licensed Psychological Associate.
Qualifying North Carolina Sites (Team-Based Integrated Care Setting) Include
All Qualifying Sites Must Complete The Integrated Care Clinic Self Assessment Tool
- Free and Charitable Clinics
- School-Based Healthcare Programs
- Critical Access Behavioral Health Agencies (CABHA)
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Centers (ADATCs)
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)
- Migrant Health Centers
- FQHC Look-Alikes
- CMS Rural Health Clinics
- State Designated Rural Health Centers
- Community Mental Health Facilities
- Community Outpatient Facilities
- State and County Health Department Clinics
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Indian Health Service Facilities, Tribally-Operated 638 Health Programs, and Urban Indian Health Programs (ITU)
- Non-Profit Private Practices (Solo or Group)
SLRP Program Timeline
SLRP Eligibility Questionnaire Link Will Be Live on our Website at:
https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/orh/north-carolina-state-loan-repayment-program (Wednesday, November 23, 2022, through Wednesday, December 7, 2022)
To apply for a SLRP award, all providers must complete the SLRP Eligibility Questionnaire Link first to determine eligibility. Providers deemed eligible to proceed in applying for SLRP after completing the eligibility questionnaire will be sent a separate application link from Qualtrics via email.
Eligibility Questionnaire Link Closes at 5:00 pm on December 7, 2022
SLRP Application Link Will Be Live (Wednesday, November 23, 2022, through Wednesday, December 7, 2022)
Sharing the SLRP Application Link with eligible candidates is the second step in the process. Only eligible candidates who have completed the SLRP Eligibility Questionnaire will individually receive the SLRP application link from Qualtrics. The SLRP Application will not be posted on our website.
Screening Period by External Reviewers for Eligible Applications (Wednesday, December 14, 2022, through Wednesday, January 4, 2023)
The following part of the SLRP application process is to have external reviewers review the application and complete a scoring sheet. This information will be used in addition to other factors for a final decision given by ORH staff.
Award Decision Announcements (Wednesday, January 11, 2023, through Friday, January 13, 2023)
Next, award decision announcements will be sent to providers outlining whether approved or not approved by email. All decisions are final.
SLRP Contract Issued (Monday, January 16, 2023 through Friday, January 20, 2023)
Once all previous steps are complete, ORH Contracts Team will email awardees official contractual documents for signature. All documentation should be returned before the given deadline.
Signed SLRP Contracts Due Back to ORH (Tuesday, January 31, 2023)