WIC Program Updates
Here you will find news-worthy updates as they relate to North Carolina WIC. Additional information related to items found here may also be found on the For Participants and/or For Staff webpage(s).
Infant Formula Resources
- NCDHHS works in partnership with parents, caregivers, medical providers and WIC agencies to ensure safe and nutritious options for North Carolina families to feed infants. We have developed resources at www.ncdhhs.gov/formula to support you and your baby.
- Families participating in WIC are encouraged to continue to use standard Gerber formula options when they are available to ensure consistency. These are:
- Gerber Good Start Gentle (12.7) powder infant formula
- Gerber Good Start Soy (12.9) powder infant formula
- Gerber Good Start Soothe (12.4) powder infant formula
- To support families, NCDHHS has temporarily made it easier for WIC participants to purchase more types and sizes of infant formula. These temporary changes will help families buy the formula that is available in stores. For the latest information:
- Information on Temporary Additional Formula Options for WIC Participants (8/10/22). Includes information on formulas available, redeeming benefits and examples.
- Information on Temporary Additional Formula Options for WIC Participants - Spanish (8/10/22)
- Table of Temporary Formula Options for WIC Participants (8/10/22). Includes product information and sizes, including product images.
- Table of Temporary Formula Options for WIC Participants - Spanish (8/10/22)
- FDA Takes Important Steps to Improve Supply of Infant and Specialty Formula Products
Below is more information and resources to support and learn more about breastfeeding:
- Considering Breastfeeding?
- Considering Breastfeeding? Spanish
- Making More Milk
- Making More Milk Spanish
Voluntary Recall of Abbott Powder Formulas
Abbott voluntarily recalled their Similac ®, Alimentum®, and EleCare® powder infant formulas manufactured in a single facility in Michigan. Click here for more information. The recall also includes of one lot Similac® PM 60/40 powder infant formula. Click here for more information.
Abbott is voluntarily recalling these products after investigation into four reports of Cronobacter sakazakii infections in infants (three from FDA complaints and one from a CDC case finding) and one complaint of a Salmonella Newport infection in an infant who had consumed the identified powder formula products manufactured in a single facility in Michigan. The products under recall have a multidigit number on the bottom of the container starting with the first two digits 22 through 37, contains K8, SH, or Z2 and with an expiration date of April 1, 2022, or after. One lot of Similac ®PM 60/40 [Lot # 27032K80 (can) / Lot # 27032K800 (case)] is included in the recall. Product images may be found here. If affected product is identified, it should NOT be used. Families with affected product can: return the product to the place of purchase; may contact Abbott for instructions at similacrecall.com or Similac customer service at 1-800-986-8540; or return to the local WIC agency.
Increased Cash Value Benefit (CVB)
Have you heard? Your monthly WIC Cash Value Benefit has been increased. Enjoy more fruits and vegetables with:
$25 per month for children,
$44 per month for pregnant and postpartum women, and
$49 per month for breastfeeding women.
COVID-19 Related WIC Program Updates
WIC Remains open to serve eligible family members. There have been some modifications in how services are provided in response to COVID-19.
If you or a family member are currently certified to receive WIC food benefits the benefits will be added to your eWIC account on your family issue date without any further action. This will limit personal interactions at the local WIC clinic.
If you need breastfeeding support, any food package change, or need to update certification please follow the instructions from your local WIC agency. Keep your current eWIC card. Your current eWIC card will be used for future months WIC food benefits.
NC WIC COVID-19 food package waivers: if a store is out of the product type/size issued in food benefits, the following items are allowed:
Bread - 100% whole wheat or whole grain, any size 16-24 oz.
Milk - when issued skim/non-fat or 1%, you can get 2%.
Yogurt - when issued skim/non-fat or 1%, you can get whole-fat.
Las concesiones de NC WIC COVID-19: Si una tienda está fuera del tipo / tamaño de producto emitido, se permiten los siguientes productos:
Pan - 100% trigo integral o grano entero, cualquier tamaño 16-24 oz.
Leche: cuando se emite descremada / sin grasa o 1%, puede obtener 2%.
Yogurt: cuando se emite descremado / sin grasa o 1%, puede obtener grasa entera.