Energy Assistance

The North Carolina Division of Social Services administers the following Energy Programs.  Eligibility for these programs vary.  To apply or for more information, please contact your county Department of Social Services (DSS) office.

Low Income Energy Assistance (LIEAP) provides a one-time annual vendor payment to help eligible families pay their heating expense.

Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) serves individuals and families who are experiencing or in danger of experiencing a heating or cooling related crisis.

Duke Energy Progress Energy Neighbor provides heating and cooling assistance to Duke Energy Progress customers who reside in a county served by the company.

Piedmont Natural Gas Share the Warmth Program provides heating assistance for households residing in a county that is served by Piedmont Natural Gas.

Wake Electric Round Up provides heating and cooling assistance to Wake Electric customers who reside in a county served by Wake Electric membership Corporation.

Haywood Electric Company's Helping Each Member Cope (HEMC) assists households with heating and cooling needs in counties that Haywood Electric Membership Corporation provides residential service.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and Heating and Air Repair and Replacement Program (HARRP) provides funds to local community action agencies for the purchase and installation of materials to help make homes more energy efficient.  Although these programs are partially funded through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Block Grant, they are administered through the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) provides emergency assistance to low-income households, particularly those with the lowest incomes, that pay a high proportion of household income for drinking water and wastewater services.

Energy Provider Portal